We are so excited that you have decided to look into the life of the Normal Beaty Bunch. We hope that these words will encourage you to fall passionately in love with Jesus and follow him with your whole life and heart!
RSS

Friday, June 2, 2023

If I want it - I take it

S is currently in a Residential Treatment Center (RTC). He is struggling, and is being transferred to a different placement, due to him not responding to the treatment in the RTC.  Even though he KNOWS that he might be 'kicked out' - he just canNOT stop doing wrong things. 

Last night I called S (as we talk almost every night).

The first gal answered and I asked for him. She stuttered and said "let me check."

The second gal ... sweet, quiet, innocent voice ... "See, we do med pass about 6:15 and then we have them sit quietly for 15 minutes. and we do room checks and It's nothing bad, and not supposed to have in his room it's all laid out so I want to talk to him about it before he walks in there..... 'WHAT? OH SAMUEL... What did he have?" ((again - sweet innocent voice)) Let me get the list.... Insert me SMACKING MY HEAD ON THE WALL Well... pens, a pencil, a screw - well, that's not a safe thing, toiletries I asked - did he have a comb? She said yes - ((He uses that to break the tines off and scratch himself)) So - I told her - No worries, I'll call back. You'll be much nicer to him than I want to be. Thanks!!

Later I called S back. Of course - he claimed the screw was given to him by a peer - so not his fault. The pens were his roommate's, so again - not his fault. I reminded him that he could have given the screw straight to a staff person, and not kept it. He acted surprised.


He had contraband in his room?  AGAIN?  I just don't get it.... 
He KNOWS they staff do room checks.  
(He knows we have cameras in the house)  
He KNOWS they will find things hidden in his room.
(He KNOWS we will watch the cameras)
He KNOWS there will be consequences.
(He KNOWS there will be consequences.)

He is SO SURPRISED!!

There HAS to be a disconnect in his brain between BEHAVIORS and CONSEQUENCES.

How in the WORLD can he understand the GRACE and FORGIVENESS of Jesus  if there is such a disconnect between what he does, and what happens afterwards?  

How can he ask for FORGIVENESS and ACCEPT that - if he doesn't know the difference between right and wrong?

I'm so thankful that GOD is the judge - not me!

No comments:

Post a Comment