We are so excited that you have decided to look into the life of the Normal Beaty Bunch. We hope that these words will encourage you to fall passionately in love with Jesus and follow him with your whole life and heart!
RSS

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I'm just not sure I want to say that!

I wonder...do I really mean what I say? Do I really thing through what I say before I say it? I know....I know - we've all heard the speech -I heard it often as a child - "Now people! Before you sing "All to Jesus I surrender"...think through - do you really mean that? Don't sing if it's not your heart's desire." No one would be caught not singing - so of course - we all sang.... -

Maybe - it's more dangerous to sing today's music than the hymns of the 1800's. Listen to this song:


I see the King of Glory, coming on the clouds with fire
the whole earth shakes, the whole earth shakes.

I see His love and mercy washing over all our sins.
The people sing, the people sing.

Hosanna, hosanna, Hosanna in the highest.

I see a generation rising up to take their place
with selfless faith, with selfless faith.

I see a near revival, stirring as we pray and sing
We're on our knees, We're on our knees.

Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna in the Highest.

Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like You have loved me

Break my heart for what breaks Yours
Everything I am for your kingdoms' cause
As I walk from earth into eternity

Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna in the Highest.

The thought hit me the other day. This song is a DANGEROUS song to sing. Most of it is ok - even the part about healing my heart and making it clean... it's the "show me how to love ... Like YOU have loved me". That's the part that made me start thinking - Do I REALLY want to love the way Christ loves me? That could be uncomfortable. That could .... ugh! I don't really want to think about what that could mean.

Loving the way Christ loves. He gave everything up - to love me. Do I really want to do that?

Then the song says (or I say - when I sing it) "Break my heart for what breaks Yours" WHY? What if my heart really does hurt every time I see a foster kid? or a homeless person, or some sin somewhere? That interrupts my life!

I'm having a hard time explaining how this song has messed with my thinking. But it has. "Everything I am for Your kingdom's cause" Really? EVERYTHING I am?

I don't know - in theory - yes. Everything I am - Yes. Break my heart - Yes. Show me how to love - Yes.

In reality? I sure hope so. But it might hurt. People might think I'm crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Is this were everybody says amen in the sermon....b/c they really should.

    ReplyDelete