We are so excited that you have decided to look into the life of the Normal Beaty Bunch. We hope that these words will encourage you to fall passionately in love with Jesus and follow him with your whole life and heart!
RSS

Sunday, August 29, 2010

"What is WRONG with you guys?"

This wasn't the first time I'd been asked that question. Many people, over the course of the last 20+ years, have asked us that question.


Like the time we donated our mowing van to a mission's organization. "Don't you know you could SELL the van, and get some extra money? What is WRONG with you guys?"

Or the time we bought a car at the dealers, and told the salesman: "Call this man, and tell him there's a car here for him." "WHAT? That's a lot of money! Why would you do that? What is WRONG with you guys?"

This is one of my favorites: The time we let a lady and her two kids move into our home, for 5 months, after her house burned down. "Let her stay in a hotel! What is WRONG with you guys?"

And then there was the time I was pregnant with #3: "You're pregnant? Why!? You have a boy and a girl - why would you want any more? What is WRONG with you guys?"

But, my all time favorite, just happened this last month. We were talking with our caseworker, discussing the potential adoption of our 2 year old and his younger brother. Then, in the middle of our discussion, she said - "What is WRONG with you guys?"

"What do you mean?" I ask....

"You know - the other boys!"

Oh no! She found out! There are a 4 and 6 year old sibling group of boys, needing a home. God has been laying them on our hearts.

I stutter "...Well... you know we want to fill in the gap between Elizabeth and Samuel...."

again... "What is WRONG with you guys?"

and again....I stutter... "...Well..."

I failed. So many answers I could have said. So many, but I chickened out. I was scared. Scared that my God given convictions would cause her to say no to us adopting more kids. I hid, unconvinced that God could 'override' the decision of this caseworker.

As a family, we've talked about how life will be different if these boys come live with us. What will we need to change, what will stay the same. I told the kids that our caseworker wants to know "What is WRONG with us?". We laughed, and joked around. After the joking stopped, the boys said, "Mom, it's simple. Tell her that God said to take care of orphans. We don't tell God no."

Wow! The faith and understanding of a child (or teenager - as this case is!) That is simple. "We don't tell God no." I knew that. I try to live that out. I fail. But - my heart's desire (usually) is to obey God. It's that simple.

God arranged another conversation with my caseworker. Again - she said "What is WRONG with you guys?".

I was ready. Deep breath!

"Ya know - I asked my kids how they'd answer that question - and without blinking an eye - they said "God says take care of orphans. We don't tell God no."

She said, "Karen. Those boys would do great with you and Andrew. I will support this adoption."

Then she smiled. "You know. You are CRAZY. That's what's wrong with you."

Thanks. I'll take that as a compliment.

The boys are spending Labor Day weekend with us.

Crazy, Isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. crazy? maybe, but you have tons of kids around all the time, is it REALLY gonna be that much diff? :) gotta follow what God says even if it's out of our comfort zone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for crazy or those boys would fatherless for quit a bit longer. Jesus was a bit crazy himself. I mean he ate with sinners and critized the pharises. Talk about crazy, talk about bucking the system. He even claimed to be the son of God, punishable by death....radical!

    ReplyDelete