
Naoh was born 2 months early. His birth momma liked her drugs, but her drugs didn't like Noah. He suffered from torticollis- which impacted the development of his muscles on his left side. We noticed that he couldn't turn his head well, because his neck muscles were weak - thus resulting in a 'flat head' and therefore the privilege of wearing a helmet to reshape his head.
Another things we noticed was that Noah ALWAYS held food in his mouth - on his left side. He would pocket it, carrots, cheese, cereal, bread, YUCK! He would eat part of his food, two bites of his food, or all but the last bite - it didn't matter. And then he'd hold that food in his mouth....for HOURS and HOURS.
We got him evaluated - and then got feeding therapy for him - to help him learn to swallow. He had other 'feeding issues' stemming from the torticollis - and eventually he 'graduated' from feeding therapy. Two weeks later, we had apple pie for breakfast (Yes - I do feed the kids pie for breakfast - it has a LOT of fruit in it!). 5 hours later I heard myself say "Noah, swallow your breakfast so I can feed you lunch." That's when I realized we had a problem!
Noah 'suffers' from something called Sensory Processing Disorder. (http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com ) The best way I can explain this - to the best of my understanding/knowledge - is that he cannot proccess the different things that affect his senses. For example - when you're hot and tired - and you take a shower to relax you - and the water falls over your head - you sigh a deep sigh and relax. Noah SCREAMS - it hurts. It's not relaxing at all. Or, you step outside and the gently misty rain is refreshing, Samuel (Noah's brother) runs inside crying because of the 'pain' of the mist hitting his skin.
Noah also 'chews' on his blanket. He constantly wants something in his mouth...his blanket, his fingers, a stuffed animal ... or food. It is a comfort to him. He won't use a pacifier (never really did) ... but MUST have something in his mouth. You'll notice in this picture of Titus' adoption day, that all three younger bio sibs have their hands in their mouths. That's a sensory thing!
Many of the behaviors that my boys do - I never allowed my older kids to do (take their shoes off at church, jump on the couch, run around during supper, etc.) but I am learning that all of these behaviors are due to the SPD they have, and are a result of their prenatal exposure to drugs. It's not their fault!
I believe that Noah's desire to hold food in his cheek because it is a comfort to him. Soggy bread or mushy cereal is like a security blanket for a 'normal' kid, or like a piece of gum or a cigarette hanging out of someone's mouth, or for me - like a cup of coffee in my hand! He uses that food to comfort himself.
There are a LOT more things my kids do - to help calm themselves, to feel 'comfortable' - but for right now - I'm going to grab a cup of coffee - and give Noah a snack!


I work with several kids with sensory issues and they are always putting things in their mouths. One of the kids carries raw spaghetti noodles in his pocket to chew on throughout the day. We have also been able to get permission for many of them to chew gum at school. They also have "chewy" necklaces that one of the girls uses to chew on during the day at school. Basically looks like a phone cord you wear around your neck. :) I went to a training recently that focused on sensory issues. I can make a copy of the material and give it to you. It was very interesting and had some great ideas!
ReplyDeleteHallie
As a future teacher, I enjoyed that you shared personal examples and behaviors of SPD that your sons encounter! I think this is a good post for all teachers to read to learn about Sensory Processing Disorder. I know I learned a lot about SPD just from this post! (:
ReplyDeleteThanks Morgan! I've learned to 'view' behaviors through different glasses. Sometimes - I use the glasses of Sensory Processing ... and sometimes I use the glasses of Autism ... and sometimes I just give up! But - it sure helps to understand their behaviors better!
Delete